Sunday, February 15, 2009


Pretty roses given by Brian to each of his girls

Brian leading our family in worship Sunday morning 

My slippered foot and Mary Scott sipping gatorade as we praise the Lord together

Benjamin and Catherine lifting their voices to the Lord

Reading from God's Word as we had church at home

Catherine excited as she recites Philippians  2:3

Little Mary Scott on the mend but still not feeling great

This weekend was marked by changed plans due to our very sick little Mary Scott.  It all began early Friday afternoon when she began vomiting continuously for a solid hour.  As fear crept into my soul as she couldn't stop and I knew not what to do, I laid hands on her and prayed that God would give her reprieve.  Finally, after an hour, the vomiting subsided for a few minutes and the nurse from our pediatrician's office returned my call.  She informed me of a horrible stomach virus going around marked by uncontrollable vomiting followed by several days of diarrhea (yuk!!!).  She went on to tell me it has generally been going through entire families (we are praying against this, for sure!).  

I am very thankful this morning to report Mary Scott hasn't vomited since late last night.  She was amazingly calm and independent all through Friday night as she threw up many, many times.  Due to some medicine her pediatrician prescribed, she was at least able to keep down tiny amounts of pedialyte for an hour or so keeping her from getting dangerously dehydrated.  Yesterday, she slept most of the day with only short wake times when we encouraged her to drink.  By the evening, in addition to her apple flavored pedialyte, strawberry jello, a grape popsicle, and some sprite, she tried to eat a couple of saltines and a little bit of applesauce.  Later, she through up a tiny bit but managed to rest well most of the night.  And this morning, Mary Scott awoke very weak and still tired but with help and encouragement, has taken a few little bites of a banana along with clear drinks and jello after which she has seemed to perk up a bit.

Though Valentine's day was spent at home, sweet Brian celebrated his love for each of us.  He presented his girls, Catherine, Mary Scott, Anna and myself, with roses (a separate bouquet for each of us).  And Benjamin got a big old bear hug - the kind only a daddy can give- along with words communicating his love for his son.  What a precious and loving husband and father Brian is.  And I had special little gifts for Brian and the children as tokens of my love for each of them.

Instead of attending church for worship this morning, we praised our Lord from home.  As Brian played the keyboard, we sang songs of worship and praise then spent time in the Word reading in Luke about the birth of John the Baptist.  We went on to begin memorizing Philippians 2:3 which says, "Let nothing be done through selfish ambition or conceit, but in lowliness of mind let each esteem others better than himself."  I also shared some thoughts and scripture on love noted from a favorite blog of mine.  It was a sweet time together although we missed the chance to worship with other fellow believers at our church.

So it's been a different kind of weekend... very quiet, at times restful and at times not restful at all.  Mary Scott hasn't been her typical lively and often loud little self.  I've spent much of the time in pajamas with face not made.  And we've each washed hands many, many times and used squirt after squirt of hand sanitizer.  Sprayed Lysol and brought out the Clorox.  And we've prayed over Mary Scott for her healing and prayed for God's grace and protection on our home that this horrible sickness would stop with her.  But we've been together, and for that, I am thankful.

1 comment:

dandsratz said...

Oh Monica!! I read this a couple of days ago, and have been praying for ya'll since. I hope this finds you "in the clear" and that little Mary Scott is already much much better!! You are the third family I've heard in the last 4 days with this bug. I loved seeing ya'lls worship service, and the flowers--GORGEOUS!! Sending you my BEST wishes for a speedy and full recovery for that little girl!!