Monday, May 11, 2009

REFLECTIONS from this mother

   Heartfelt sentiments from Benjamin and Catherine

    May I treasure each day for I am richly blessed!

Benjamin, my only son, and oh how love him.  I treasure his passion, his quick mind, his potential...

Catherine, my tender spirited girl.  I long to desire the Lord as she does.  

How I delight in Mary Scott's smile.  And she's my feisty one!

The sheer joy that baby Anna brings me!  I love meeting the needs of this little one.

Sweet Sisters!  How I pray the Lord will knit their hearts in a tight bond to one another.

This man, my man... greatest Daddy in the world!!  How I joy in being his wife.

These girls... I just love 'em!

These moments when Benjamin and Catherine have so much fun together... I love it!

Catherine is such a sweet sister.  We all love kissing Anna's cheeks!

On this side of Mother's Day, I find my heart reflective.  Yesterday was a sweet day, a day when my precious husband and children made it their aim to make me feel special.  After church, we went to lunch... Macaroni Grill... YUM!  Though it was Mother's Day, our lunch was colored by the normal stuff that a meal out with 4 children displays... voices too loud, nearly turned over glasses of water, trip to the car to nurse a baby just as our meal was brought, crayon marks on table cloth.  There were also those precious moments... excitement about a yummy lunch, looking at my children's beautiful faces as we sat around the table together, Brian as he diligently tended to every one's needs in an effort to give me a break, the children having fun coloring on the paper that covered our table and me getting to teach Benjamin and Catherine how to draw a palm tree.  It was a sweet lunch together.  During our time there, Brian asked me a question that I've played over in my mind several times since.  He asked, "What is it about being a mom that you most enjoy?"  In the moment, I didn't have some well thought out reply.  I said something like this, "I love watching our children play when they are getting along and just having fun together, and I love when they're kind to one another."  And yes, I do enjoy and treasure those times.  But there's so much more.

I enjoy encouraging my children, guiding them, cheering them on.  I love holding my children in my lap, snuggling them close and telling them how much I love them.  I am thankful that I'm able to be involved in all the things they do... school, sports, church.  I love that our family is close and that we do nearly everything together.  I am so grateful that I can pray to a faithful God for my children.

Proverbs 31:28 says, "Her children rise up and call her blessed."

So many days, most days in fact,  I feel so undeserving of their blessings... days when my patience is short, my words are snappy, my hands are too busy to offer the tender touch they need.  Those days when I am clearly not gaining my strength from the Lord Almighty and not being guided by his Holy Spirit.  Oh how I regret these instances.  Yet through God's grace, my children do bless me.  Benjamin has said, "I love that no matter what has been going on in mom's day, she always has a smile for us when she picks us up from school."  Mary Scott will say, "You're my best mama."  And Catherine will tell me, "Mama, you're such a good mama."  Anna will smile the sweetest smile at me, one that radiates love.  In moments when my children are speaking blessings over me, the enemy is whispering in my other ear all his lies that aim to discourage me.  That I even give him the chance to have his way makes me want to scream.  I know Satan would love nothing more than to steal the very joy of mothering that Christ has for me.  Am I perfect?   oh... far, far from it.  But that is the beauty of grace.

In the months and years ahead as God allows me to bless my children, my prayer is that my words and deeds will bring Christ glory.  After all, that is what this gift of motherhood is all about.  Not to gain the praises of others or even to view myself as a good mom.  But to bring glory to the Lord... as I serve my children, as I instruct them in the ways of Jesus, as I discipline them, as I celebrate and have fun with them, as they see me being a loving and devoted wife to Brian.  Oh Lord I pray that as I walk humbly before you and abide in you, that my words and deeds toward my children and husband will be laced with LOVE... the kind of love that took you to the cross.  And that in these things you will gain much glory.

4 comments:

Heather J said...

Precious pics - and look at baby Anna standing! Her little romper is just adorable! Also, thanks for sharing your heart of motherhood!

Corrie said...

lovely! i especially love the close up of catherine! are you loving your new camera? it sure looks like it :)

the Andersons said...

When do you find the time to do such nice journaling? I wish I wrote more like you do. Are these pictures with your new camera??? They look great! Your children are so blessed to have you as their mom!

Eversole Crew said...

Awesome pictures! Glad to see you are enjoying your much deserved Mother's Day gift!