Saturday, August 16, 2008

The first day of our summer vacation

I'm finally sitting down to share about our family vacation to St. Simons Island. I'll include several posts because I have a number of photos.

We travelled down to the beach Friday, August 1st. We didn't leave until nearly 9pm that evening because Benjamin had a flag football game. Although a number of my friends have spoken of travelling during the night so the children sleep, Brian and I had never tried it. Once we got past the first 30 minutes and the children settled down, we had peaceful driving, and the trip went much faster than normal - about 4 hours 15 minutes.

After arriving late, we slept in Saturday morning. Once our day finally got started, the children were anxious to go jump in the swimming pool. So off we went with a basket full of pool toys and a beautiful day. I loved watching them swim their little hearts out. Benjamin and Catherine are swimming great this year. Brian coached Catherine on how to swim and touch the bottom of the pool in the deep end, and she mastered it very quickly. They all had fun putting on their goggles and "fetching" torpedoes from the bottom of the pool. And little Mary Scott was perfectly content playing with her toys on the steps. If anyone went near her, especially Brian, she would climb out of the pool in a flash. She had absolutely no interest in going into the "big water" as she called it. It thrilled my soul to see Brian just hanging out having fun with them.

My mom, better known as Meme to the children, joined us by mid day to spend the rest of the weekend with us. She was especially anxious to see Anna because she hadn't seen her since the day after she was born. She brought some yummy Georgia grown summer vegetables (thank you, Mama). I especially enjoyed the fried okra. It's always been one of my favorites, and I think Benjamin and Catherine like it almost as much as I do.

Although our visit with my mom was short, we had fun. Since we don't live in the same area as any of our family, it always seems there's just never enough time when we get together...but we'll take what we can get!


Meme and Anna getting to know one another

The children enjoying some time with Meme


No comments: