Monday, August 25, 2008

Oh, how quickly my sweet Catherine is growing up! She celebrated her 6th birthday on June 27th, and for nearly the whole past year, she has been asking to get her ears pierced for her birthday. I must confess, I didn't even want to consider it because in my mind she would've been several years older.

Well, one thing I'm learning as a mom is that my children have desires, wishes, feelings - they are little people, too. And sometimes the best thing I can do as their mom is grant their wish (as long as it doesn't dishonor me, Brian or the Lord). I've realized they have a need to express who they are, and that is not always a direct reflection of who I am - they are not me. Yet, God's given Brian and me this incredible opportunity to make deposits into them, direct them, discipline them and help shape who they are and who they become. Again, not becoming us, but instead becoming who Christ created them to be, so long as they are surrendered to him.


Thus, we granted Catherine's wish for her 6th birthday and granted her permission to get her ears pierced. She waited so patiently as Anna was born and then we went on vacation. But, we finally took her last Saturday, August 16th, to get them done. She did beautifully - sat up in the chair as big as ever, got one ear done and then the other with no tears shed. While she was sitting waiting to have them done, I asked her if she was nervous. She said she wasn't then Benjamin, who was standing by her side, quickly said, "I sure am scared!" I thought, what a sweet big brother to stand their in support of his sister. She is so proud and loves showing them to everyone. She looks beautiful!


No comments: