Wednesday, December 9, 2009

Oh Christmas Tree, Oh Christmas Tree

I made the plunge this year and bought an artificial Christmas tree.... still can't quite believe I did it. No offense to poor artificial trees, but I have a special place in my heart for fresh cut trees, especially the Frazier fur type... the wonderful scent that fills the air, the way each one is original. But I concluded for this time in my life that an artificial one would be easier, and when I happened on one at Wal-Mart that would work perfectly in our space, I bought it. Benjamin and I had it up in no time. When Brian arrived home from work, we were ready to adorn it with ornaments and such. We had a delightful time decorating it, and I enjoyed every minute of listening as the children laughed and shared about ornaments they've received or made through the years. Then I began to look at the tree and noticed how so many ornaments were clustered all around the bottom where Mary Scott was able to reach, and as I listened and looked, my entire perspective changed. Though I like a beautiful tree, even a real tree, it's not about it being the perfect tree, it's about family, time together, reminiscing about years gone by. I left the ornaments piled on top of one another... because in my heart that was an expression of my child. Benjamin counted it an honor to be given the job of topping the tree with our angel. It truly was a sweet time together.







1 comment:

the Andersons said...

Loved seeing all your new blogs. Tell Catherine her performance was wonderful!