Monday, December 21, 2009

Celebrating Christmas with Mama

This year, we headed to Mama's the weekend prior to Christmas to celebrate. It's always a challenge to fit it all in. We're usually on the road a lot during the holidays. As usual, when we're down on the farm, we enjoy lots of time outdoors... especially the children. Catherine and Mary Scott had a wonderful time helping Meme bake cookies. I think they could've spent the entire time playing bakery! We had plenty of yummy treats to snack on the whole time we were there.

One evening, we rode further out into the country to look at Christmas lights. Mama kept trying to describe the huge display this family has put up over the years, but upon seeing it, I could hardly believe my eyes. It was like a whole little town built solely for the purpose of Christmas. It was free to ride through, but they do ask that you bring non-perishable food to donate to the needy. One of the latest additions to the town is a beautiful little church where apparently a couple of weddings have already taken place. It was an enjoyable outing for the entire family.

Watching the children anticipate our gift exchange brought back memories of when I, my brother and my cousins were kids... we could hardly wait to open presents and would drive the adults crazy until the time finally came. Some of the most special gifts given were the wooden bowls my mom gave to my brother, Casey, and sister-in-law, Sarah, and Brian and me. The one for Casey and Sarah was Nanny's (my grandmother's) and the one for Brian and me was mama's. I'll always treasure our wooden bowl and will use it proudly. Thank you so much, Mama, for passing it on to us.








No comments: